All across Ottawa, we’re preparing for Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, the New Year, the winter solstice, and of course the cold and snow. Your preparations should also include these potentially life-saving gas and fire safety tips.
- Did you know that your carbon monoxide alarm can’t detect a natural gas leak? This winter, add a natural gas alarm in your home to protect you and your family or housemates.
- Do you know the signs of a natural gas leak? Natural gas smells like rotten eggs or sulphur. You may also hear a hissing sound coming from broken natural gas equipment, like your furnace. If you smell natural gas or suspect a leak, act fast. Remain calm, leave the area immediately and call 911 or the Enbridge Gas 24-hour emergency line: 1-866-763-5427.
- Keep your natural gas meter and appliance vents clear of snow and ice, including the path leading to it. A covered gas meter or blocked vent may not work correctly and could lead to dangerous levels of carbon monoxide in your home.
- Do you know the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning? Carbon monoxide is odourless, colourless and deadly. If you have a headache, are feeling nauseous or dizzy, experiencing weakness or are confused, you may have carbon monoxide poisoning. Leave the area immediately, call 911 and wait for first responders to arrive.
- Carbon monoxide can sneak up on you while you are sleeping. You must have a working carbon monoxide alarm where you sleep, test it every month and replace it as indicated on the alarm or manufactures instructions.
- Visiting an elderly relative or friend? Test their smoke and carbon monoxide alarms and replace their batteries.