January 7, 2021 marked a public health breakthrough at one of our Long-Term Care homes when the first resident received vaccination against COVID-19 (see list below).
At present, the City only has access to the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, which is now being administered at long-term care and retirement homes. There is a supply shortage, the City of Ottawa has to wait for more doses to be delivered. There’s no word yet on how many Pfizer-BioNTech doses are expected to arrive in Ottawa next week. The federal government said on Friday, January 8th that it expects 280,000 doses a week to arrive in Canada until the end of January, increasing to 360,000 a week in February.
A total of 28 long-term-care homes and 90 retirement homes across Ottawa will see vaccination of residents in coming weeks.
This is a critical step forward in the fight against COVID-19, however it is still vital that we follow public health measures to stop the spread of the virus in Ottawa.
In a memo on Friday, January 8, Ottawa’s medical officer of health Dr. Vera Etches and Anthony Di Monte, the city’s general manager of emergency and protective services, listed the order in which residents of the remaining long-term homes will be vaccinated.
- Perley Rideau Veterans’ Health Centre (already vaccinated once).
- Carlingview Manor Long-Term Care Home (already vaccinated once).
- Peter D. Clark Home (already vaccinated once).
- St. Patrick’s Home of Ottawa (already vaccinated once).
- Garry J. Armstrong (already vaccinated once).
- Saint-Louis Residence – Bruyère.
- Extendicare Medex.
- Extendicare West End Villa.
- Extendicare Laurier Manor.
- The Glebe Centre.
- Madonna Care Community.
- Extendicare Starwood 1.
- Garden Terrace 14. Centre d’Accueil Champlain.
- Granite Ridge Care Community.
- Forest Hill.
- Villa Marconi.
- Carleton Lodge.
- Revera Montfort Long-Term Care Home.
- Osgoode Care Centre.
- Salvation Army Ottawa Grace Manor.
- Hillel Lodge.
- New Orchard Lodge.
- Revera Longfields Manor Long-Term Care Home.
- Résidence Élizabeth Bruyère.
- Manoir Marochel.
- Sarsfield Colonial Home.
- Royal Ottawa Place.