Rain – good for the garden, not for your basement.
Redirecting your downspouts can enhance your property and help keep your basement dry!
If you often experience water in your basement after a heavy rain, you may be able to reduce this with a quick fix. Rain Ready Ottawa – the City’s residential rainwater management program – recommends these three guidelines:
- Drain to a permeable surface – especially one that is built for infiltration like a rain garden or soakaway pit
- Drain at least 3m (10’) from your home’s foundation to an area sloped away from the home – this will help keep your basement dry especially in spring and after large storms
- Follow the Site Alteration By-law which prohibits the drainage of rainwater on to a neighbouring property whether it is intentional or not
Rain Ready Ottawa is a home-grown City program that helps residents make the best rainwater management choices on private property.
Most residents East of Pinecrest Road are eligible for:
- A custom home assessment to get guidance on what to do to manage rainwater – assessments are FREE! (Join the waitlist at envirocentre.ca/rain-ready)
- Rebates up to $5,000 to help you implement your project (downspout redirection, rain gardens, and permeable driveways are all eligible!)