Preparatory activities (borehole drilling, top soil stripping, site office mobilization, pre-construction surveys, tree clearing, etc.) are currently underway on each O-Train extension.
O-Train Trillium Line South Extension
• Walkley Maintenance and Storage Facility (MSF)
o In coordination with OC Transpo Rail Operations, preparatory works such as surveying, clean up, trackwork and fencing are underway at the future site of the new Walkley Yard Maintenance and Storage Facility.
o Foundation excavation for the future Walkley Maintenance and Storage Facility (MSF) is currently underway.
• Earthworks are ongoing between Uplands Drive and Airport Station along with culvert installation and embankment construction.
Pictured Above: Embankment construction between Airport Parkway and Uplands Drive.
• Earthworks and grade works are ongoing between Leitrim Road to Earl Armstrong Road.
• Delivery of rail is ongoing between the Port of Johnstown and Ottawa. In total, 3200 metric tonnes of rail will be delivered to Ottawa this fall.
• Caisson drilling is currently underway at Uplands Drive and Airport Parkway.
Pictured Above: Caisson drilling has commenced at the Airport Parkway.
O-Train Confederation Line East Extension
• Tree clearing is now underway along both the north and south side of Ottawa Road 174 between Blair Road and Green’s Creek.
Pictured Above: Tree clearing is underway on the south side of OR 174.
• Montreal Road Ramp reconfiguration
o Crews have commenced the reconfiguration of the Montreal Road/OR 174 ramps in preparation for construction of the Montreal bridges.
o Temporary traffic light installation is ongoing.
Pictured Above: Construction has started on new OR 174 eastbound ramp at Saint Joseph Boulevard.
• East site office and day-to-day yard is now operational (Montreal Road and OR 174). Project staff will use this site for the coordination of Confederation Line East construction activities.
• Pre-construction surveys
o East-West Connectors (EWC) have retained DST Consulting Engineers to carry out a pre-construction survey of the homes and buildings located within close proximity to the project. They will be documenting properties to establish the existing conditions of the interior and exterior of buildings near the alignment, prior to construction.
O-Train Confederation Line West Extension
• Tree clearing is currently underway at Baseline, and scheduled for several priority areas including Iris Station to Baseline Station, Moodie Light Maintenance and Storage Facility (LMSF) area, and the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway area.
• Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway (SJAM) Cut and Cover Tunnel Preparatory Works
o SJAM is shifting north to accommodate the space required to construct a cut-and-cover tunnel between Dominion Station and Cleary Avenue.
o Off-peak lane reductions between Dominion Avenue and Cleary Avenue are anticipated in late October, although bidirectional traffic will be maintained at all times.
o Gravel spreading, watering and compaction are currently underway.
o Crews have commenced asphalt spreading in areas where compaction has been completed.
Pictured above: Paving has commenced on the new SJAM westbound lanes.
• West site office and day-to-day yard set up (Baseline Road and Navaho Drive)
o Granular pad installation is complete and most of the office trailers have arrived on site. Occupation is anticipated to take place in November.
o This site will be used for the coordination of Confederation Line West construction activities.
• Building demolition is currently underway:
o Crews have completed the structural demolition of 747 Richmond Road (Strip mall).
o Demolition is now underway on the east side of Connaught Avenue between Severn Avenue and Hanlon Avenue (three houses)
• Borehole drilling is nearly complete with more than 3,500 boreholes completed to date. Drilling is anticipated to occur in the near future at Tunney’s Pasture Station.
• Pre-construction surveys
o East-West Connectors (EWC) have retained DST Consulting Engineers to carry out a pre-construction survey of the homes and buildings located within close proximity to the project. As indicated in the east update, DST will be documenting properties to establish the existing conditions of the interior and exterior of buildings near the alignment, prior to the start of construction.