The City of Ottawa’s Rail Construction Program is closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation and is in contact with the constructors about adhering to guidance provided by Ottawa Public Health and the Province of Ontario.
Construction is underway across all three Stage 2 O-Train Extensions:
- In the south, there is ongoing work at the Walkley Maintenance and Storage Facility (MSF) and on multiple rail bridges including Airport Parkway, Uplands Road, Lester Road, Leitrim Road, Bowesville Road, Earl Armstrong Road, and Limebank Road.
- In the east, Highway 174 road and utility relocation work is ongoing to make way within the centre median for LRT infrastructure. Bridge construction is underway for the rail flyover east of Blair Road, and at the Montreal Interchange.
- In the west, work at Lincoln Fields, Iris, Queensview, and Moodie, is in full swing. Construction of the west split structure rail bridge south of Lincoln Fields is ongoing, and utility relocations are occurring in preparation for the commencement of cut and cover tunnel construction later this year along Byron and in the Connaught area.
O-Train Confederation Line West Extension
- Dominion Station area still has a few trees awaiting removal.
- Lawn Avenue parkette trees are to be removed in late August.
- Skead, Fraser, Mansfield area to undergo utility relocation, and two City trees in the right of way may require removal.
Moodie Station & Light Maintenance and Storage Facility (LMSF):
- Corkstown Road utility relocations are ongoing.
- Culvert bridge caisson work is complete, and abutment and drainage work has begun.
- Site preparations for future utility work at Moodie Station has begun. Barriers around the work zone will be installed in the coming weeks.
- Site preparation for utility relocations to begin in the next few weeks.
- Pedestrian, cyclist, and vehicular traffic movements will be maintained.
Baseline Station Area
- Excavation is ongoing for retaining wall construction near Navaho Drive.
- Excavation and preparation for utility work and laydown area at the Baseline BOB is ongoing.
Iris Station Area
- Foundation construction is taking place to support the future Pinecrest Creek culvert.
- Bus stop along the Transitway will be relocated in the coming weeks.
- Wet utility work will begin at Baseline & Cobden and Iris & Navaho in the coming weeks, required for Iris Bridge culvert construction.
West Split Structure Rail Bridge (south of Lincoln Fields)
- 4 of 6 piers have been poured.
- Installation of girders expected to begin end of September.
Connaught Cut and Cover Tunnel
- Utility relocation is ongoing in Connaught Park and Connaught Avenue.
Lincoln Fields Station Area
- Crews are relocating a storm sewer that conflicts with the future Lincoln Fields Station and guideway.
- Carling Avenue south utility work is ongoing.
- Traffic has recently been shifted to accommodate the utility work, and night work will occur periodically.
- Access Road construction and excavation to support construction of a temporary bus loop has begun.
Byron and Richmond Corridor (Byron Linear Park)
- Storm sewer and drainage work is ongoing.
- Utilities relocation will be starting along Byron Avenue with temporary road closure and detours this fall.
- Hydro relocation work on Richmond Road near McEwen Park in progress.
- Bell and Rogers duct work is ongoing.
- Richmond at McEwen north sidewalk detoured for utility work.
- Support of excavation installations in the area of New Orchard begins in the coming weeks.
- Byron Linear Park will remain closed until completion of park renewal, following tunnel construction; site is secured with barriers and signage.
Sir John A. Macdonald (SJAM) Parkway
- The pathway on the south side of the SJAM Parkway has been closed between Cleary and Dominion with a signed detour in place.
- Construction of drainage outfalls and headwalls is ongoing.
- Construction of a temporary access road for slurry plant, along SJAM, is completed, although future modifications may be required as part of ongoing sewer work.
- Equipment is arriving in Rochester Field and along SJAM for future cut and cover tunnel work.
Goldenrod Bridge (west of Tunney’s Pasture Station)
- Support of excavation installation for the new bridge is ongoing, and excavation will follow.
Communications and Stakeholder Relations
All City of Ottawa in-person public meetings are cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Rail Construction Program is using other means and methods for sharing information with the public.
Stakeholders can stay up to date on the Stage 2 LRT project by visiting Ottawa.ca/Stage2, where they can view the following:
- Stage 2 LRT interactive map
- Stage 2 LRT newsletter
- Station descriptions and renderings
- Fact sheets and other helpful resources
Staff continue to engage with Councillors and community stakeholders as work progresses. Stakeholders can continue to direct inquiries to the Stage 2 LRT project’s email, Stage2@ottawa.ca.