This notice is to advise that, as part of the Stage 2 O-Train Light Rail Transit (LRT) project, trucks, crews and equipment will be completing underground utility work along Connaught Avenue from the OC Transpo facility near Roman Avenue to Severn Avenue, in advance of excavation of the Connaught cut-and-cover Tunnel in the same area. Residents will see increased activity in the area throughout the construction of the LRT tunnel.
WHAT: The following phases of work are needed to relocate underground utilities in the area of the future Connaught Tunnel:
- Ground levelling work at the west end of Connaught Avenue, near Roman Avenue at the OC Transpo building. Fencing will be put in place around the work zone for safety.
- The roadway at Connaught Avenue & Hanlon Avenue will be temporarily widened in order to clear the centre for a construction work zone, while maintaining traffic. This includes the relocation of streetlights, curbs, and asphalt paving. Crews will be using equipment onsite to access the underground utilities, including machinery to remove soil and materials.
- A trench box several meters long will move as utility line work progresses.
- The temporary widened areas will be removed, as this is where the trench is to be built.
- Cut and cover excavation for the Connaught Tunnel will begin this fall.
- Ground water must be removed, as needed, for work to occur daily. This requires a pump to operate for the purpose of water removal. The pump will need to operate 24hrs a day. The noise levels from the machinery will not exceed 69dBA.
WHEN: These phases of underground utility relocation work will continue from May through September 2020. After completion this fall, excavation for the tunnel will begin through the end of the year.
WHY: Construction of the Connaught Tunnel requires crews to relocate water lines, sanitary and storm sewers out of the way, which in turn requires widening the road temporarily as well as excavation and levelling of land. Tunnel work will begin this fall.
WHERE: On Connaught Avenue from Roman Avenue at the OC Transpo property to Severn Avenue, and extending into Connaught Park. There will be associated trucks and equipment in the wider area.
HOURS: Active construction is permitted to occur during daytime between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m., Monday to Saturday, and between 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Sundays and holidays. Overnight construction equipment activity is necessary, including pumps and generators, with a valid Noise Bylaw Exemption Permit.
Traffic management will be in place during active construction work. Crews and equipment will be working in the area. Pedestrian, cyclist and vehicle access will be maintained in all areas, although minor delays to traffic may occur at times. Pedestrians and cyclists should use extra caution as traffic patterns change. Flag persons will be on site as needed.
The safety of workers and the public is paramount, and we thank you for your patience during construction.
Updates to this work will be shared by e-newsletter; sign-up via Ottawa.ca/Stage2 and click on ‘Connect with us.’ Please be sure to indicate interest in Queensview Station.