School starts in just a few weeks! As you prepare for the return to in-person learning this fall, there’s one thing you can do early to make sure your semester is off to a solid start: get vaccinated.
Friday, August 20 is the last day you can get your second dose to be considered fully vaccinated before Labour Day weekend. But even if you aren’t fully vaccinated by then, getting a start on your personal community immunity is a great first step.
There are several vaccine clinics available across the city, including one at the University of Ottawa’s Minto Sports Complex until Monday, September 6, where students, staff, friends and family can all drop by to get a first or second dose. No appointments are needed for this clinic. Just swing by and you can be in and out in less than 30 minutes!
Are vaccines mandatory?
Some post-secondary institutions have made COVID-19 vaccinations mandatory for students in certain situations, while others have made it mandatory for any student or staff member intending to be on campus in person. You can find a short list of some Ontario-based post-secondary institutions with vaccine regulations below. Be sure to check with your registrar about what you need to be safely on campus.
Ontario campuses that require all students living in residence to be fully vaccinated:
- University of Ottawa
- University of Toronto
- Western University
- University of Waterloo (all students must be fully vaccinated by Monday, November 1)
- University of Guelph
- Wilfred Laurier University
- McMaster University
Ontario campuses that require all on-campus students to be fully vaccinated:
- Seneca College (all students must be fully vaccinated by Tuesday, September 7)
- Confederation College
What are the rules for international students?
- Incoming students who have already been vaccinated in their home countries might require re-vaccination. Check with your host institution about which vaccines are approved and accepted. If you require re-vaccination, be sure to drop by the vaccine clinic at the University of Ottawa. All international students and their families are welcome.
- Outgoing students will need to check vaccine requirements with their host institution. It is highly recommended you get vaccinated before you leave
With all sorts of benefits coming up for fully vaccinated individuals – like the ability to attend music festivals or to travel – getting the COVID-19 vaccine is the best way to make sure you don’t miss out. Start the semester with one less thing on your to-do list by getting vaccinated now