The World Health Organization is officially advocating against the phrase “social distancing” and is from here on recommending the phrase “physical distancing” instead. The idea is to clarify that an order to stay at home during the current coronavirus outbreak isn’t about breaking contact with your friends and family — but rather keeping a physical distance to make sure the disease doesn’t spread.
Ensure that you keep a 2 metre (6 feet) distance from others, including in elevators.
For the continued health and safety of residents, Ottawa Public Health also recommends the following precautions:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or use hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth unless you have just cleaned your hands.
- Cover your cough and sneeze with a tissue or into your arm, not your hand.
- Self-isolate in your unit if you are sick.
- Wait for an empty elevator.
- Limit use of public areas for necessary outings and take additional precautions in shared spaces.
Take care of yourself
For more information, visit OttawaPublicHealth.ca/Coronavirus