TRANSPORTATION SERVICES – CITY OF OTTAWA – ROAD MODIFICATION
- Staff recommend road works at 929 Richmond Road to construct a median on the eastbound approach to the intersection of Richmond Road and Woodroffe Avenue as described in this report.
- 929 Richmond Road, Ward 7, see Attachment 1.
- These road modifications are a result of a new proposed development at 929 Richmond Road. The mixed-use development is proposing 300 m2 of commercial space and 176 residential units.
- The modifications are required to physically restrict the Richmond Road access to right-in, right-out.
- Construction is tentatively scheduled to begin in 2020.
EXISTING ROAD CONDITIONS
- Richmond Road is a four-lane undivided arterial road with a 16.6m to 20m asphalt surface, a 1.5-meter sidewalk on the west side, a 2-meter concrete sidewalk on the east side, curbs on both sides and an unposted speed limit of 50 kph.
- Woodroffe Avenue is a two-lane undivided arterial road in the vicinity of the proposed development with sidewalks and curbs on both sides and an unposted speed limit of 50 kph.
- The intersection of Woodroffe Avenue and
Richmond Road has the following cross-section:
- Westbound approach: One through/right lane, one through lane, and one auxiliary left-turn lane.
- Southbound approach: One through/right lane, one auxiliary left-turn lane.
- Eastbound approach: One channelized right-turn lane, two through lanes and one auxiliary left-turn lane.
- Northbound approach: One through/right lane, one auxiliary left-turn lane.
- There are existing transit stops on the northwest corner of the Woodroffe Avenue and Richmond Road intersection, as well as another immediately west to the proposed access on Richmond Road.
- Reported collisions for the period from 1 January 2014 to 31 December 2018
- At the Richmond Road and Woodroffe Avenue intersection: 33 collisions, 4 of which involved non-fatal injuries, 13 of these collisions involved rear-end impact types, indicating congestion is a significant factor.
- On Richmond Road between New Orchard Avenue and Woodroffe Avenue: 13 collisions, 6 of which involved non-fatal injuries. No important patterns are noted.
PROPOSED ROAD MODIFICATIONS
- It must be emphasized that the following road modifications (see Attachment 2) are conceptual and intended only to illustrate the proposed function. The approval of any detailed design of the road modifications stemming from this report will be subject to the City’s detailed design review process.
- The detailed design review process will include requirements for roadside safety provisions, center medians, utility relocations, street lighting, drainage and other needs as deemed appropriate by the City.
- Any required easements or property requirements identified to implement the project as a result of the approved design review process will be the responsibility of the applicant to secure at their cost, to the satisfaction of the City of Ottawa.
Proposed road modifications:
- New median on the Richmond Road eastbound approach to the intersection of Woodroffe Avenue and Richmond Road.
Modification Outcomes- Benefits and Impacts
The recommendations summarized in this report will help achieve the following Strategic Directions of the Transportation Master Plan:
- Maximize road safety for all users
- Maximize road network efficiency
- Attachment 1 – Key Plan
- Attachment 2 – Proposed Road Modifications
KEY PLAN (RMA-2019-TPD-040) ATTACHMENT 1
PROPOSED ROAD MODIFICATIONS (RMA-2019-TPD-040) ATTACHMENT 2