Our community police officer Constable Jeff Kostuch has provided the following response to the recent increase in thefts from vehicles.
“Please be advised that our Patrol and Neighbourhood Resource Team officers are aware of the recent increase of thefts from vehicles that has been occurring in the Bay Ward Area over the past few weeks. We do have subjects of interest and we are working hard to hold these subjects responsible for their criminal behaviour. Please remember Posting on Facebook is not reporting to police. Please continue to report incidents that have occurred for crime analysis purposes, possession of stolen property charges and potential property recovery. Please provide the case number to me for information sharing and awareness. It is even more important to report suspicious persons or thefts/attempt thefts from vehicles in progress for emergency Patrol response. Please practice the below safety tips and contact me by email if you have any specific questions.”
- Don’t leave personal identification, vehicle registration or
- insurance certificates or credit cards in your vehicle.
- Remove all items from view this includes valuables, shopping bags or any general items.
- Loose change, boxes and electronic devices.
- Always close windows and lock all doors. Smashing of windows usually occurs when items worth taking are seen beforehand.
- Park in well-lit areas, when possible park close to your residence in a well lit area or use a motion sensor.
- Call 911 if you witness thefts or attempt thefts from vehicles.
- Report any suspicious persons in your area by calling 613 236 1222, follow prompts to “require immediate police assistance”
- Get involved in crime prevention. Obtain a “All Valuables Removed “Card and use it.
Please continue to Report all Theft from Vehicles for Crime analysis purposes and potential property recovery.
Telephone report: 613-236-1222 ext. 7300
Video session on how to complete an on-line police report.