The City of Ottawa and its employees will observe the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation on September 30. To learn more, please visit National Day for Truth and Reconciliation: how you can recognize the day.
This new national holiday is intended “to respond to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada’s call to action number 80 by creating a holiday called the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation, which seeks to honour First Nations, Inuit and Métis Survivors, their families, and communities, and to ensure that public commemoration of their history and the legacy of residential schools remains a vital component of the reconciliation process.”
Why Orange Shirt?
All of the City of Ottawa Client Service Centres will be closed to the public, as well as the City’s administrative buildings. Similar to Remembrance Day observances, recreational facilities will remain open and registered programming will be continued while the OC Transpo train and bus service may operate on a reduced schedule.
The following services will operate on different schedules on Thursday, September 30.
Client Service Centres
- The City’s 3-1-1 Contact Centre will be open for urgent matters only. Please visit ottawa.ca/311 for more information.
- The Client Services Centres at Ottawa City Hall, Ben Franklin Place, 580 Terry Fox Drive and 255 Centrum Boulevard, and the City’s Provincial Offences Court at 100 Constellation Drive will be closed.
Green bin, recycling and garbage collection
- Green bins, recycling and garbage will be collected as normally scheduled.
- The Trail Waste Facility will be open on Thursday, September 30 from 9 am to 5 pm.
- All parking restrictions will remain in effect. Unsigned overtime restrictions have a six-hour limit on statutory holidays.
- OC Transpo will operate on a regular weekday schedule. Use OC Transpo’s Travel Planner to plan your trip.
- The OC Transpo Customer Service Centre in the Rideau Centre will be open from 10 am to 4 pm. Plan ahead: call 613-560-5000 to book an appointment.
- All other OC Transpo Customer Service Centres are currently closed.
- You can buy or load a Presto card:
- You can load your ParaPay account at parapay.octranspo.com or by calling 613-560-5000.
- Para Transpo will operate on a regular service:
- Regularly scheduled trips will not be cancelled. Customers who do not need their scheduled trip on Thursday, September 30 should call 613-560-5000 or cancel their booking online. Customers may start booking trips one week before by calling 613-560-5000 or by booking online beginning Thursday, September 23.
- The reservations line will be open from 7 am until 5 pm.
- The trip cancellation line will be open from 6 am until 12:30 am.
- The Taxi Coupon phone line will be closed.
- Heartwood House (OC Transpo Lost and Found) will be closed.
- For more information, visit octranspo.com or call 613-560-5000.
- All facilities will be open as normally scheduled for drop-in activities.
- All registered programs at swimming pools will operate as normally scheduled. Check with your facility to confirm, as there are some exceptions.
Ottawa Public Health
- Visit the OPH COVID-19 Vaccine page for vaccination clinic hours and availability.
- Visit the OPH COVID-19 Testing Information page for hours of operation and to book appointments at assessment centres and care clinics in Ottawa.
Public Health Services
- The Sexual Health Clinic will be closed.
- The Site program office and supervised consumption services at 179 Clarence Street will be closed. The Site mobile van will operate from 5 to 11:30 pm.
- The Ottawa Public Health Information Centre and the COVID-19 Information line at 613-580-6744 will be closed. Visit Ottawa Public Health’s website for more information.
- The Ottawa Public Health COVID-19 Vaccine Booking line at 613-691-5505 will be open from 8:30 am to 4 pm.
- Dental clinics will be closed.
- The Baby Help Line will be closed.
Community and Social Services
- The Tom Brown respite centre at 141 Bayview Station Road, the Bernard Grandmaître respite centre at 309 McArthur Avenue, and the St. Paul’s Eastern United Church respite centre at 473 Cumberland Street will be closed. The centres will reopen on Friday, October 1, during regular operating hours.
Municipal child care services
- All municipal child care centres will be closed.
- All Ottawa Public Library branches will be closed. Virtual services, loans and programs can be accessed on the Ottawa Public Library website.
- Museums, the City of Ottawa Archives and Gallery 112 will be closed.
- Programming will be modified at some City arts centres, galleries, and theatres. Check with your facility to confirm.
Version française page 2