Tree Loss Mitigation and Replacement
The following measures have been taken to mitigate tree loss:
- Limit clearing to only where required in temporary easement areas
- Leave trees along property lines (backyards, businesses, parks) where possible
- Design of pathways to incorporate existing trees
- Critical Root Zone protection for trees along limits
- Where removal is unavoidable, an overall average replacement ratio of 2:1 (two trees for each one removed) will be replanted along the alignment.
Further information regarding this work can be found on Ottawa.ca/Stage2 under the Ongoing Work section.
Sign up for the LRT Stage 2 Newsletter.
Byron Linear Park
The photos below highlight trees that are planned for removal (circled in teal blue) and the various access points required for the work sites to come. The public notices available at the bottom of the page contain more information around vegetation removals, such as tree compensation to occur towards the end of the project. While not intended to be primary access, it is expected to have some vehicles pass through Connaught & Henley, and Connaught & Sackville. Multi-use pathway access will always be maintained for public use. Both the City’s rail office and the project contractor (Kiewit-Eurovia-Vinci) will ensure crews opt for the least disruptive access points wherever possible; more details will be available at a later time when a construction schedule is further developed.
- Yellow – area KEV has right to remove trees
- Blue – areas where KEV will remove trees
- White dots – represents trees that KEV will try to protect