Message from OC Transpo published on the O-Line City of Ottawa site.
Thank you for continued patience as we transition to a multimodal service, integrating bus and the O-Train into our daily trips. We acknowledge the many issues that have affected transit users since the much-anticipated launch of the O-Train Line 1.
This September the initial opening of LRT was an overwhelmingly positive experience.
Since October, new and modified bus services have meant significant changes to 100 bus routes where approximately 240,000 daily customer trips changed in some way. We know that with a change of this size and magnitude, there will need to be adjustments based on customer experiences.
During this transition, our system has not been operating with the level of consistency our customers expect and deserve. OC Transpo has a clear objective: to provide reliable and efficient public transportation.
To do this, we are implementing corrective measures, effective immediately. These improvements include:
- Freezing fares in 2020 for the EquiPass, Community Pass and Access Pass
- Additional staff to provide live information and customer support via social media
- Increased staff in customer service areas
- Adding 40 extra buses to daily service on routes with the greatest concerns expressed by customers
- Creation of direct non-stop trips from Tunney’s Pasture to west and south end
- Adding 19 new buses to the fleet in 2020 to provide more reliable and expanded service
Our contract with Rideau Transit Group (RTG) means that they are responsible for the design, construction, integration, testing, commissioning, and 30-year maintenance of O-Train Line 1. The City will hold Rideau Transit Group accountable to fulfill their obligations under the contract.
With winter approaching, OC Transpo is inspecting heaters and defrosters and performing pro-active maintenance.
OC Transpo is dedicated and focused on ensuring customers are taken care of through every aspect of their journey. Our focus is on providing reliable transit service, holding Rideau Transit accountable to maintain the LRT system and improving communications with our customers.