Residents can help by:
- Giving city vehicles the space they need. Please stay three car lengths behind plows, and step aside – into an open driveway – when you see a sidewalk machine coming your way.
- Driving to the conditions and allowing yourself extra time if you need to be out. When heavy snow falls and the city has to make multiple passes with their equipment to keep areas clear and safe.
- Keeping waste and recycle bins in the driveway and NOT on sidewalks or snowbanks. This will help city teams be more efficient and effective in their work. See illustration above.
- Only creating a service request if it is an emergency. The City addresses snow clearing concerns as part of their normal operations, so it is not necessary to contact 311 for routine issues. All available resources are out working during winter weather events.
- Removing parked cars from the road. Anytime residents can remove their parked cars from the road, it helps city crews to be more efficient and effective. They can get their machines closer to the curb with no cars which opens up catch basins and keeps roadways wider.