The Fraud and Waste Hotline demonstrates the City’s commitment to corporate accountability, transparency, responsibility, and sound and ethical operating practices.
The Fraud and Waste Hotline is a confidential and anonymous service that allows City employees and members of the general public to report suspected or witnessed cases of fraud or waste 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Activities that should be reported include, but are not limited to:
- Misappropriation, embezzlement or theft of funds, securities, supplies or any other asset
- Irregularities in the handling or reporting of money transactions
- Seeking or accepting anything of material value
- Misuse of City property, equipment, materials, records or time
- Unauthorized use of City property
- Inappropriate manipulation or destruction of data
- Misuse of City-owned hardware and software
- Fraudulent claims of reimbursement of expenses
- Fraud or waste or other inappropriate activities in violation of the Code of Conduct for City employees and the Responsible Computing Policy
The hotline is operated independently by a third party and is accessible by phone or Internet. You are not required to provide your name or any other personal information when submitting a report of suspected fraud or waste.
The Auditor General reviews each reported case and, if necessary, launches an investigation. Every report that is submitted is given a tracking number and a password, so you can follow the progress of your case and see what action has been taken.
If you wish to report an incident of suspected fraud, waste or other inappropriate activity, you can contact the Fraud and Waste Hotline at https://www.ottawa.fraudwaste-fraudeabus.ca or 1-866-959-9309.