Beginning Saturday May 25th, the City of Ottawa will begin a special garbage collection schedule in flood-affected areas. Some collection will take place daily, seven days a week.
To help with collection and disposal, flood-related debris should be separated by residents into five categories:
- Household Trash and bagged debris, including material from demolition and construction, will be collected daily. Blue, black and green bins will be collected according to the regular schedule.
- Appliances such as air conditioners, water heaters,
washers/dryers, stoves, freezers and refrigerators will be collected
Monday to Friday.
Any food should be removed from refrigerators and freezers, and the doors should be removed or secured shut.
- Electronics such as computers, stereos, televisions and any other device with a cord will be collected Monday to Friday.
- Vegetative debris, such as logs, large tree limbs and pressure treated wood, will be collected regularly from the roadside.
- Household hazardous waste collection will be on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Household hazardous waste must not be included with your garbage. Any leaking containers should be placed in a secure container or be double-bagged and labeled with the contents.
This collection schedule will continue until further notice.
Additional information about sandbag collection will be made next week. Residents are urged to leave sandbag walls intact until flood waters recede significantly, and to not include sandbags with their garbage at this time.