As approved in the 2023 budget, effective July 1, children aged 12 and under ride OC Transpo for free. This includes OC Transpo buses, trains and Para Transpo. Previously, free service was available to children aged seven and under. The initiative, called “Kids Go Free”, will make transit more accessible to our younger residents and their families.
• Children taking a bus or Para Transpo can simply board without paying a fare.
• On O-Train Line 1, children can enter through an accessible (wide) fare gate along with a fare-paying adult.
• On buses, or at O-Train stations, children can also tap an OC Transpo child card (available for free at the OC Transpo Customer Service Centre at the Rideau Centre) or use a Presto card issued by a school board.
Customer service agents are also available to help on video chat at ticket machines, at the information phone near the fare gates, or by calling 613-560- 5000. As a result of this change, some of our fare products have changed, including:
• Presto cards for a child fare are no longer required after July 1
• The Family DayPass has changed to the 2-for-1 DayPass.
- Two customers aged 13 or older can take unlimited rides on a single DayPass.
- The 2-for-1 DayPass is available on weekends and statutory holidays.
Child tickets, child transfers, and child DayPasses (1-day or multi-day) will no longer be required. Information on these changes is being shared through OC Transpo’s customer communications channels, including octranspo.com, social media, and posters at stations. A promotional video has also been developed to share with customers.