Flag raising ceremonies, events & road closures
Capital Pride Festival takes place next week, from Sunday, August 21 to Sunday, August 28, and the City of Ottawa will show its pride and support throughout this year’s festivities. There will also be road closures to accommodate the annual parade and street festival.
The City will hold a flag-raising and proclamation ceremony on Monday, August 22 at 10 am, at City Hall, 110 Laurier Avenue West. The Pride flag will also be raised at the following locations for the week:
- Mary Pitt Centre, 100 Constellation Drive
- OC Transpo headquarters, 1500 St. Laurent Boulevard
- Ottawa Paramedic Service headquarters, 2465 Don Reid Drive
- Ottawa Fire Services headquarters, 1443 Carling Avenue
- By-law and Regulatory Services headquarters, 735 Industrial Avenue
The Pride Parade will take place on Sunday, August 28 at 1 pm and several City departments will participate. Please note the parade has a new route this year and will start at Kent Street and Somerset Street West.
The following roads will be closed on Sunday, August 28 from 1 to 4 pm for the Pride Parade:
- Kent Street, from Somerset Street West to Laurier Avenue West
- Laurier Avenue West, from Kent Street to Nicholas Street
- Elgin Street, from Laurier Avenue West to Gladstone Avenue
- Gladstone Avenue, from Elgin Street to Bank Street
- Bank Street, from McLeod Street to James Street
The egress out of the Ottawa City Hall garage will be maintained. Motorists will be required to turn east on Laurier Avenue.
Additionally, Kent Street, from Gladstone Avenue to Somerset Street West, will be closed on Sunday, August 28 from 6 am to 4 pm for parade staging. Please note that cross streets intersecting with the parade route will be closed to facilitate parade crossing. Local access will be maintained.
The following roads will be closed from 3 pm on Friday, August 26 to 11:59 pm on Sunday, August 28 for the Capital Pride Street Festival:
- Bank Street, from James Street to Slater Street
- Somerset Street, from Bank Street to O’Connor Street
Visit the Capital Pride website for a full list of events happening throughout the week.
For more information on City programs and services, visit ottawa.ca, call 3-1-1 (TTY: 613-580-2401) or 613-580-2400 to contact the City using Canada Video Relay Service. You can also connect with us through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.