Summer is ending and that means kids are heading back to school.
Younger children often lack the skills to negotiate traffic safely. They may dart into the street after a toy or forget to look both ways when crossing.
Don’t be surprised to see By-law and Police Officers conducting enforcement in school zones across the City. The goal is to ensure your children get to and from school safely.
Here are some tips keep roads safe for everyone!
- Leave early to find parking
- Ensure you read and obey all posted signs, starting at the top
- Reduce speeds in school zones and be ready to stop at any time. Children do not always notice oncoming traffic.
- Obey school bus signals.
- Watch for pedestrian crossovers, know how they work and obey them when in use.
- Walk on available sidewalks.
- Always cross at intersections, looking and listening for traffic and walk across only when road is clear and safe to do so.
- Follow adult crossing guards, student crossing patrols and school bus operator’s signals.
- Ensure your children always wear helmets when riding a bike and that they walk their bikes across roadways.