Check out our updated Winter Operations page on ottawa.ca!
- Operators using grit instead of sand , where possible, to provide greater traction on roads, sidewalks and the winter cycling network.
- All residential plows and loaders being refitted with rubber blades instead of steel ones to provide quieter service and better clearing quality.
- Alternate starting points for residential beats to make plowing more consistent and equitable.
- Piloting pre-treated salt on sidewalks in downtown core and suburban west to reduce icy conditions and salt use.
- Training equipment operators on winter barriers and challenges for people with disabilities.
- Declare significant weather events when winter operations will take longer than expected due to severe conditions, to manage public expectation.
- Winter Weather Parking Bans called at set times so residents can prepare and operators can more safely and efficiently clear residential streets.