A New Website will be launched on International Women’s Day 2020 to serve as a lasting legacy and conduit for recognizing outstanding women in Ottawa.
Ottawa’s social foundation continues to improve, in large part, due to the tireless initiatives of outstanding women whose contributions – whether through service to the community or body of work – enhance the quality of life for its citizens and make the Municipality of Ottawa a better place to live for all.
These exceptional women epitomize Canadian values – demonstrating inclusivity, integrity, and a passion for making a positive impact through selflessness and dedication. They are beacons that reflect the best in all of us as Canadians and as leaders. They bring about real change by contributing to the empowerment of individuals and groups either through public or community service, career excellence, entrepreneurial activities, or education-based programs. The benefits of their contributions permeate in the areas of arts and culture, philanthropy, communication, science, sports or other initiatives to the betterment of others on a local, national or global scale.
The Femmes remarquables Ottawa Distinguished Women Project promotes inclusivity and encourages representation from all cultural groups with parallel representation from the Francophone community at all committee levels.
REQUIREMENTS AND CRITERIA FOR AWARD SELECTION
All NOMINEES must meet the following requirements.
- Nominees must approve of the nomination application, verify its accuracy and consent to have their biographical information appear on the Femmes remarquables Ottawa Distinguished Women website (along with a photograph for Lifetime Contribution and Community Pillars);
- The nominee identifies as female; is 18 years of age or older; and, is a current or past resident who has lived and/or worked within the Municipality of Ottawa (defined as all urban and rural areas within the city limits of Ottawa) for a period of at least one year;
- A nominee may only be nominated for ONE category;
- Self-nominations are accepted;
- Posthumous applications are also encouraged;
- Current municipal, provincial and federal elected officials are not eligible for nomination while in office: and,
- Temporary international residents are not eligible.
LEVELS OF RECOGNITION AND CRITERIA
Nominees for this category are exceptional women who demonstrate superior leadership and success over several years with an extensive track record of long-term achievements, community involvement and professional growth. Their accomplishments include excellence in their fields of work and community service with lasting results and noticeable benefits to the citizens of Ottawa.
Their accomplishments may include life-long service, outstanding acts of kindness, charitable work, community building or any other exemplary accomplishments that have inspired change and/or innovation, broken barriers, and have had important influence on the social and economic well-being of our City’s communities.
These nominees are known for surpassing high standards of excellence in their commitment to fostering growth and development of others by sharing guidance and their professional skills, advocating and giving a voice to others, and enriching the lives of current and future generations.
Nominees for this category are eminent community leaders who demonstrate a true service and positive influence in their commitment to their work and/or initiatives. The nominees act as catalysts for change by inspiring, leading, and engaging people to rally into action. These role models understand and continually support the future growth and sustainability of their communities by connecting people and resources. As leaders, they stand apart by being strong and articulate, innovative, visionary, and creative. Their accomplishments may include identifying and resolving a need, developing something new, or fostering change. They improve the quality of life in Ottawa by strengthening their respective communities or groups.
Women of Inspiration
Nominees within this category are unsung heroines. They inspire others through their community service, work, ideas, and by example. They are role models that are making a difference in the lives of others. Their sustained and strong devotion to volunteering represents and encourages good citizenship. They are important team members and mentors to colleagues and to others. They represent the woven threads of Ottawa’s safety social nets to the benefit of those socially or economically disadvantaged, weak, ill, or subjects of neglect, prejudice, or malice.
Nomination Applications should,
- Be written by people who can speak to the nominee’s achievements and/or contributions from first-hand experience or knowledge.
- Be complete and accurate. Incomplete nominations will not be accepted and any nomination that has been falsified will be disqualified.
- Have the consent of the nominee to let their nomination stand and have their biographical information and photograph (for Lifetime Contribution and Community Pillars) appear on the Femmes remarquables Ottawa Distinguished Women website. Checking the relevant box on the nomination form will confirm the nominee’s consent.
- Include a comprehensive and narrative statement that is clear, concise, and succinct and includes examples of the nominee’s achievements, contributions, and overall impact/influence on Ottawa and/or communities within Ottawa that speak to the qualifications of the nominee for a given recognition category.
Completed nomination forms may be submitted via email to: DistinguishedWomenOttawa@gmail.com or FemmesremarquablesOttawa@gmail.com with the subject line – “Nomination Submission” no later than 5pm on November 29, 2019.