Are you looking for a way to increase your food supply with a home garden? There is still time to plant greens, beans and other food for your home use. For more details contact JustFood.ca.
The City of Ottawa’s Human Needs Task Force and Just Food are partnering to provide seeds and soil to 3000 households living on lower incomes in Ottawa. Home gardens are a great way to grow your own food, stay active, and support positive mental health during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Who can get a seed and soil package?
- People in Ottawa living on lower incomes or who have lost their job due to COVID-19.
- Must have access to a personal yard (can be small).
- There are 3000 seed and soil packages available to distribute throughout the community over the next 2 weeks.
- Given out by registering on a first-come, first-served basis.
Maximum 1 package per household
What is included in a seed and soil package?
Each package comes with:
- 6-7 different types of seed (swiss chard, kale, turnip, cabbage, beets, peas, yellow and green beans)
- Soil: an amount equal to 3 black/blue recycle boxes full
- Basic instructions and links to other information on how to grow