2023 Wild Parsnip Program is anticipated to start on May 29, 2023, weather permitting. The goal is to reduce the growth of wild parsnip in highly infested areas while ensuring that environmentally sensitive areas and public safety are not adversely impacted. In total, Council has approved $298,000 for this year’s strategy.
The 2023 Wild Parsnip Strategy will allow staff to:
• Continue and expand the application of Clearview and Navius FLEX herbicides to highly infested areas;
• Continue mowing operations, adjusting frequency and timing to best coincide with herbicide applications;
• Re-map infestation areas and levels;
• Continue the communication and awareness campaign in collaboration with partners in Ottawa Public Health (OPH), Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP), National Capital Commission (NCC), etc;
• Provide weekly updates for Councillors on roadside and parkland spraying locations within each ward;
• Prepare communication materials for Councillors to share with residents.
The public will be notified of the herbicide application by a Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP) approved “Notice of Herbicide Use” advertisement that will appear in local newspapers one week prior to the start of spraying. However, given the large number of public access points for parks, signs will continue to be posted every 100 metres.
For additional information on wild parsnip, please consult the City of Ottawa’s website.