The 2020 Wild Parsnip Program will start on May 19, 2020, weather permitting. Similar to years past, the goal is to reduce the growth of wild parsnip in areas that are highly infested while ensuring that environmentally sensitive areas and public safety are not adversely impacted. In total, Council has approved $198,000 for this year’s strategy.
The 2020 Strategy consists of the following:
- Continue and expand Clearview herbicide application to highly infested areas
- Continue with mowing, adjusting frequency and timing to best coincide with herbicide applications
- Re-map infestation levels
- Continue the communication and awareness campaign in collaboration with partners in Ottawa Public Health (OPH), Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP), National Capital Commission (NCC), etc.
- Staff will prepare weekly updates for Councillors on roadside and parkland spraying locations within each ward
- Communication materials (a postcard and an information sheet) are available for distribution to Councillors for their constituents.
Please select link for a full listing of the infestation levels and planned treatment locations on roadsides, as well as a list of the planned treatment locations in parkland. Approximately 1,200 lane km of roadsides/pathways and over 150 locations of parkland will be treated this year. Roadside cutting is currently underway and additional herbicide application may be considered again for the fall season.
For additional information on wild parsnip, please consult the City of Ottawa’s website.